JOB DESCRIPTION: Transportation Team Direct Support Professional
JOB SUMMARY: The individual in this position will provide support to the Community Liaison Department. The primary task of the Transport Team DSP is to participate with the children and young adults in field trips and doctors’ appointments. The individual in this position will have a flexible schedule and will be required to work some weekends, holidays, and on days when there is no school. Incumbents also accompany the residents on a variety of outings in the community, events or activities that will support the Individual Support Plan (ISP), and assist the residents in developing relationships with members and organizations in the community.
1. Behavior should be professional at all times and consistent with St. Mary’s Home mission and policies and procedures, including treating the residents and others with dignity and respect while protecting their confidential information.
2. Provide meaningful interactions to the residents before, prior to and after the community outing to enhance the experience of it by incorporating ISP goals into the outing.
3. Provide safe transportation for the residents to and from community outings and doctors’ appointments. During periods when field trips are not scheduled, incumbent will be assigned to assist in other ways needed by The Home.
4. Responsible for assisting the Direct Support Professionals who work with the residents with personal hygiene, lifting, toileting, and dressing appropriately for the weather and type of activities as needed before and after the community outing. Assembles supplies that will be needed on the field trip (i.e., diapers, sunscreen, umbrellas, meals, snacks, etc.).
5. Responsible to communicate to the supervisor when issues or concerns arise.
6. Communicate to the resident’s nurse any concerns about the health status of resident upon return from approved field trips/outings, doctor’s appointments, etc.
7. Report any concerns about the vehicles in a timely manner to the appropriate supervisor and/or maintenance.
8. Document in CareTracker upon return from the community outings
9. Reports and/or documents routine and unusual events, daily vehicle visual inspections (i.e. tie down system, lights on the van, first aid kit, van lift, etc.), accident reports, etc. in a concise, understandable, and legible manner to the supervisor.
10. Must attend St. Mary’s mandatory in-services (i.e. infection control, OSHA regulations, confidentiality, behavior plans, etc.).
11. Other duties as assigned.
CONDUCT: In addition to the specifics listed below, incumbent should demonstrate respect and courtesy towards the individuals served here, family members, guests, vendors, and co-workers at all times, and acting as a “good will ambassador of St. Mary’s,” positively greet others and offer assistance as needed.
1. Complies with attendance and punctuality policies
2. Works well with others
3. Uses time appropriately
4. Attire is appropriate for job
5. Is respectful and courteous to other staff
6. Is respectful and courteous to visitors
7. Follows instructions with a positive attitude
8. Complies with all policies and procedures
9. Will not use any tobacco products while on the clock
1. Must be able to sit, stand and walk for variable lengths of time.
2. Must be able to lift up to thirty five (35) pounds independently, and with or without required equipment (dependent upon the weight of the child), must be able to use proper equipment and procedures to safely lift residents to reposition them, etc.
3. Must wear approved attire for this position (refer to dress code policy).
4. Must wear company-issued ID badge at all times.
5. Must be 21 years old.
6. Must have acceptable driving record based on Fireman’s fund standards.
7. Must be able to drive St. Mary’s vehicles and successfully complete the driver training.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. High School Diploma or GED required, some experience working with individuals with severe disabilities preferred.
2. Must use proper grammar and punctuation when writing information about resident behavior, reporting an accident or injury, or other forms of written communication.
3. Will complete satisfactory driving training of the Home’s vehicles and four point securement or on-board securements (tie down/seat belts) of the wheelchairs on the vehicles.
4. Must complete the following on-the-job training as soon as possible after being hired:
CPR/First Aid certification
Safety Care Training
Person Centered Thinking training