- Conducts daily physical assessments of assigned residents.
- Administers medications, treatments and tube feedings as prescribed by the physician.
- Administers care to tracheostomy-dependent and ventilator-dependent residents after completing required training.
- Receives, transcribes and implements physician’s orders.
- Intervenes appropriately in the event of emergencies with residents or staff.
- Documents activities related to nursing and medical care in a timely manner and consistent with established formats.
- Safeguards Patients’ Rights.
- Assists in developing and updating the program plans of specific children as a member of interdisciplinary teams.
- Demonstrates knowledge about, and participates in the provision of Active Treatment Programs for residents.
- Assists with the maintenance of a safe and sanitary environment in compliance with OSHA Regulations.
- Participates in staff meetings and staff development programs as directed.
- Acts as communicator between family and staff.
- Accompanies residents to the hospital, as necessary.
- Transports residents to the hospital, as necessary.
- Directs and supervises the delivery of nursing in absence of the R.N.
- Acts as Charge Nurse, as assigned.
- Assists Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) as needed.
- Actively supervises and directs the activities of the DSPs on an ongoing basis.
- a. Makes job and break time assignments in the absence of a DSP team leader.
b. Ensures their compliance with St. Mary’s personnel policies and procedures as they relate to workplace behavior and appearance.
c. Appropriately corrects and/or redirects DSP behavior and activities when such behavior is inconsistent with job assignments or DSP performance standards.
d. Participates in the annual performance evaluation of DSPs working under your direction.
e. Report insubordinate DSP behavior or any other flagrant disregard of DSP job assignments, duties or established resident care procedures, especially instances of negligence and abuse, to the Chief Nursing Officer or the Charge Nurse.
(In addition to the specifics listed below, incumbent must demonstrate respect and courtesy towards the individuals served here, family members, guests, vendors, and co-workers at all times, and act as an “ambassador of St. Mary’s,” positively greeting others and offering assistance as needed.)
- Complies with attendance and punctuality policies.
- Works well with others.
- Uses time appropriately.
- Wears attire that is appropriate for the job.
- Is respectful and courteous to other staff.
- Is respectful and courteous to visitors.
- Follows instructions with a positive attitude.
- Complies with all policies and procedures.